Friday, August 21, 2020

My life in the midst of COVID-19

 Hello All!

My name is Hannah Johnson and I am from Harrodsburg, Kentucky where I am apart of a middle class family. I live with my parents, Peggy and Robert Johnson, and my younger brother, Nolan Johnson. I am currently a freshman at the University of Kentucky with a major in Pre-Nursing. Our home town has about 8,500 residents and that is a significantly smaller amount than Lexington, Kentucky which has a whopping 324,000 residents. In our small town my family owns a small engine repair business and farm supply store. It is our fifteenth year since opening and since day one, all the business has done is grown. The reason I tell you about our business is because it was positively affected by COVID-19. When the shutdown began in Kentucky, my family and I were praying that under all the circumstances we wouldn't be one of the businesses to close. Thankfully our prayers were answered and we were able to keep our doors open, unlike so many other locally owned businesses. When the shutdown occurred many residents in our town had no where to go and nothing to do so they either went to Walmart or worked outside. The shelves were empty and the refrigerator sections bare at the store. This left the store crowded with lingering families and our business was busier than ever because everyone was planting gardens. We sold 10,000 garden plants in less than two months! It was heartwarming to see everyone raising their own food in such a time of uncertainty within our food supply chain. 

Another great perk of the virus for my family was the shutdown. I understand that it was detrimental to many families and their income, but it was a memory maker for my family. If you've every talked to your grandparents or someone older, they'll tell you about how life was slower in their younger part of life. Families had time to spend together without keeping up with each person's individual schedules and what was happening that week. They had time to enjoy each other and make memories. Before the pandemic, that thought was merely a dream. We were juggling soccer practice, archery tournaments, FFA meetings, college visits, and church activities. Our life was anything but relaxed. When COVID became more of an issue, my Mother began working only every other day. This gave my family time to slow down and complete tasks on our mind that we didn't have time for before the pandemic. It is truly amazing to feel your life slow down and just be able to enjoy your family and friends without being constantly rushed. 

Although it sounds like it was sunshine and rainbows for my family during the pandemic, there were some tougher times. I was a graduating senior and our graduation had gotten cancelled two times. All my graduating class got from the school was a diploma and we were sent home. No recognition of our accomplishments and no final goodbye to our friends. Instead, the Class of 2020 at Mercer County Senior High were given an opportunity to bring 6 family members to a private ceremony. It was devastating to have to choose between all my family that I love so dearly. But the parents of the Class of 2020 ended up having us a graduation ceremony to remember at our fairgrounds and things turned out for the best. In March, my brother turned 15. In July, my Mom and I both had birthdays and it happened to be my 18th birthday, I was becoming and adult. And finally, in August my Dad had a birthday. Normally our family, friends, and loved ones would gather at our home and we would celebrate all of our birthdays. Sadly, that didn't get to happen. It was tough for a while because we didn't get to see our extended family, but we knew we were luckier than others in the sense that were gaining another year, while others were losing a family member that wouldn't have another birthday. 

The COVID-19 pandemic has not been mentally or physically easy on anyone, but I believe that there are both good and bad sides to every situation and every story. My story and my family's story has, so far, turned out for the better where our business has grown and we have gotten to spend more time with each other. It is time for all of us to count our blessings in this time of uncertainty.



No comments:

Post a Comment

3rd COVID-19 Surge Across America

We have been at this Covid virus for about 9 months now. Last Spring there was the first surge of cases that shut down America's economy...